Introduction

     Growing up, you always hear about the usual occupations a kid could want. Well, mine was to be a singer, and although that might not be the most common everyday job, my ten-year-old self was determined to make it work. Once I got older and became more realistic with my future goals, I knew I wanted to do something that helped people somehow. In high school, I started working at a restaurant where I was a busser, and later worked there for another three years, and started my first serving job. That job was the first time I got to experience firsthand what it can be like to work in the human services industry and how rewarding it can feel to make someone's day. 

    Whether befriending a regular or something simple like remembering their drink order, it always felt good to let people know I valued and remembered them. This feeling was something I wanted to think about in my profession. My high school had what we called “pathways,” where you would pick a career field and have requirements for classes you had to take under your pathway. I chose the human services pathway, which required courses like cooking and human development. These subjects weren't always enjoyable, and I felt lost, unsure of my career path.

    In my senior year of high school, I settled on nursing. I had gotten a job at the local nursing home as a CNA to give me a better understanding of the profession, and don’t get me wrong, it was one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had. Still, it was also the most emotionally, physically, and mentally challenging job, and when I sat and thought about it, I didn’t know if I would be happy being a nurse for the rest of my life. I ended up applying to NDSU with nursing as my chosen major, not quite sure if I was satisfied, but happy to know I had made a decision, even if I knew deep down it wasn’t the right one. 

    Before school started in the Fall, I knew I needed to change; something had to be different. I knew I wasn’t going to be happy in this profession, so one night I got on my computer and searched for “Majors for College List,” and from there I didn’t have to look far because I found my answer in the A’s right in front of me, Architecture. At the time, my knowledge of what would later become my major was minimal, and I didn’t know if it would fit me.  I started watching YouTube and TikTok videos to better understand what it was all about. I knew I wanted to help people, and I had always had a creative drive and spirit, so I figured it would be a perfect fit. Lucky for me, NDSU has a great architecture program, and I can even continue my education and get my masters here, which was just what I was looking for. So I changed my application to architecture and have been on this path since. 

    That was two years ago now, which is hard to believe. I will be starting my Junior year in the Fall, but I can’t wait to see what the year holds, and I am so excited to start the journey. I hope this blog post provided insight into how I began my journey, from high school to where I am now. Everything came together in the exact way I wanted, and i’m greatful to be one of the percent who did not change their major once they got to school, which has kept me on a great track to graduate on time. I am excited to keep this blog updated on my academic journey. 

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pros and Cons of Architecture

Fallingwater Case Study

Why Do Women Leave the Architecture Industry?